Garages are usually not very well insulated or temperature controlled. If you like to work in your garage year round, you’ll need some extra equipment to keep yourself from getting overheated or getting frostbite. A few fans in your workspace should help during the summer, but getting the best garage heater will make the winter months so much better. Check out this list of my favorites so you can pick out the best garage heater for your own space!
Best Garage Heater Reviews
Mr. Heater MH18B, Portable Propane Heater
The Mr. Heater MH18B is a portable, super safe device with a lot of great features. It is a quality, cheap garage heater with some awesome features. It has an automatic shut off for if it is tipped over and another attached to a low-oxygen detector. It features a low, medium, and high setting to bring maximum comfort to your garage. Weighing in at 16.8 pounds and measuring 18.5 inches by 18 inches by 11.4 inches, this garage heater is big and heavy enough not to tip over easily. It’s sturdy, wide base makes it the perfect companion for any winter outing.
The Pros of the Mr. Heater MH18B
- The Mr. Heater MH18B is portable and can be carried around wherever you need it. The plastic handle stays cool for easy carrying (though please don’t carry around the unit while it is actively running).
- The Mr. Heater MH18B can use almost any size propane tank for operation. Although it is designed for two small, one-pound propane tanks to run it, larger tanks can be used with the purchase of a filter and a hose.
- It gives you about 450 square feet of ambient warmth.
- The best garage heater on the market.
The Cons of the Mr. Heater MH18B
- The safety features on the Mr. Heater MH18B are top notch, but a little too sensitive. Just bumping into the unit will sometimes make it shut off, even if it’s not tipped very far.
- Two one-pound propane units are needed to run the unit on high. You can’t run it on high at all unless you have more than one pound of propane. The two canisters last only about three hours on high heat.
Dyna-Glo Delux RMC-FA60DGD
The Dyna-Glo Delux RMC-FA60DGD is a great, portable garage heater that is ready for any use, indoor or out. It offers variable heat control in a variety of settings that heats up to 1,350 square feet in front of it, depending on the model. This model is CSA certified. Depending on the BTU level of the unit, it will either be CSA certified for both indoor and outdoor use, or only indoor use. The Dyna-Glo Delux RMC-FA60DGD comes in a variety of power levels ranging from 40,000 BTUs to 300,000 BTUs. The price varies for each level of power, but they are all priced reasonably for their specs. It is one of the best garage heaters of its kind.
The Pros of the Dyna-Glo Delux RMC-FA60DGD
- Unlike the Mr. Heater MH18B, this model comes with the tubes you will need to attach the propane tanks to your new unit. This is much more convenient than having to buy extra parts for your tanks.
- The Dyna-Glo Delux RMC-FA60DGD comes in a variety of power levels so you can find the perfect one for your purpose.
- It is compact and portable and ready for keeping you warm!
The Cons of the Dyna-Glo Delux RMC-FA60DGD
- Although the Dyna-Glo is one of the best garage heater, it makes a continuous clicking noise to keep the propane lit. The noise is a little annoying but can be easily covered with some music.
- The Dyna-Glo Delux RMC-FA60DGD does not shut off if the fan stops working, which is a safety hazard. The fan must be running to keep the unit from setting itself on fire, and there does not seem to be anything to stop it. This requires a quick inspection of the fan for debris before every start.
Fahrenheat FUH54 240-volt Garage Heater
The Fahrenheat FUH54 is a heavy-duty garage heater. It has variable heat settings that range from 2500 to 5000 watts, making adjusting the room to the perfect temperature a little easier. It is adjustable to point the heat in nearly any direction. The Fahrenheat FUH54 comes standard with a ceiling mount that will help you to get your new garage heater in the best position possible. It is a very smart unit, designed to be mounted in cold spaces to fill the air with heat. While not portable, it is one of the best garage heaters designed to be mounted and left that I have tried.
The Pros of the Fahrenheat FUH54
- The built in thermostat of the Fahrenheat FUH54 is fairly accurate but can be replaced with a better one if you are a little handy.
- The unit is safe, and the wall or ceiling hangers are very secure.
- It is a quiet heater, so it can used in cold rooms at night if someone is sleeping.
The Cons of the Fahrenheat FUH54
- It is not portable!
- The Fahrenheat FUH54 requires a dedicated circuit of at least 30 amp and 220 volts. It is expensive to run but great for those days when the regular heat just isn’t cutting it.
- Some of the garage heater reviewers on several websites have claimed that calling the customer service for the Fahrenheat FUH54 is not a good experience. I have no direct experience with their customer service, but service horror stories in reviews aren’t usually a good sign.
Mr. Heater F232000 MH9BX Buddy 4,000-9,000-BTU
Much like the other Mr. Heater on this list, the Mr. Heater F232000 MH9BX is a safe, reliable unit that offers a good range of heat. This slightly cheaper and smaller unit heats to about 225 square feet, about half the size of its meatier cousin. However, this unit is lighter, more portable, and uses less propane. The Mr. Heater F232000 MH9BX features two heat settings: low (4,000 BTU) and high (9,000 BTU). It folds to make it easier to pack away if using for camping trips where space counts. The ceramic coated surfaces help to reflect and disperse heat around over a wider area than it would without them. It also features the same safety features you would expect from a Mr. Heater.
The Pros of the Mr. Heater F232000 MH9BX
- It’s tiny, light, and super portable.
- Like all Mr. Heater products, the Mr. Heater F232000 MH9BX really takes safety seriously. It has all of the safety features you might need in a little space heater for your room or your camper or a tent.
The Cons of the Mr. Heater F232000 MH9BX
- The small range of heat and compact size make this more of a space heater than a garage heater, but if you have a little tool shed or similar that needs heat, this little Buddy can’t be beat.
- The heat only lasts for about 3 hours on high, so if you are looking to leave it on for long periods of time, you’ll need to purchase extra hoses with filters to allow it to attach to bigger propane tanks.
ProFusion Heat Ceiling-Mounted Workshop and Garage Heater
The ProFusion Heat HQ1500 is another non-portable, wall-mounted unit designed for long term use in a single space. If your garage is in need of a dedicated unit, this is one of the best garage heaters for that purpose. The ProFusion Heat HQ1500 has a built-in halogen light. It is energy efficient and ready to warm you up with its 5,200 BTU output. This heater runs on electricity instead of propane. With two heat settings that reach up to six square feet around the unit, you’ll never be cold in your little garage space.
The Pros of the ProFusion Heat HQ1500
- The ProFusion Heat HQ1500 is energy efficient and won’t drive your electricity costs through the roof.
- The halogen light offers a garage light for dimly lit spaces as well as heat.
The Cons of the ProFusion Heat HQ1500
- The heater is great for a garage but is too loud for a bedroom or some living spaces.
- The ProFusion Heat HQ1500’s heat range is very small, and it is only good for tiny spaces.
- The supplied mounting bracket is flimsy, which is a real detriment to a heater designed to be mounted. It will most likely have to be reinforced before proper mounting can occur.
The top garage heater is the Mr. Heater MH18B, Portable Propane Heater. Portable, convenient, strong, and safe, I love this unit for its versatility. It can be used indoors or outdoors. It’s very portable and the unit seems to be very well put together. Its long range for heat allows you to feel warm even if you aren’t cuddled right up to it, which makes it great for outdoor parties or for doing chores in your icy cold garage. All around a great buy and the best garage heater ever!